Friday, September 16, 2011

National Book Festival




I am very excited.  Next weekend on the 24th and 25th of September is the National Book Festival on the mall in downtown DC.  We took our kids last year and had so much fun.  The Let's Read Pavilion Tent is dedicated entirely to children and reading related activities - my kids loved this tent.  And while my husband and children enjoyed an activity in there I got to stand on the outside of a very crowded tent and listen to Suzanne Collins - author of The Hunger Games.  Everyone was happy.  

I am starting to do my research on which authors are coming and what times they are presenting.  With kids, we definitely can only hit a few highlights.  Brian Selznick and Kadir Nelson will both be there and have both just recently published a new book.  I would LOVE to take my kids to see Tomie dePaolo - Strega Nona and Bill and Pete are definite favorites at our house.  And Jane O'Connor will be at the Family Storytelling Stage - my daughter, who is a lover of all things fancy, would love to listen to her. And those are just a few of the many great children's authors.  Not to mention all of the other genres represented.  Ahh, book festivals.  I love them.  

How about you?  Have you ever been to your local book festival?  If not, I highly recommend looking one up and attending.  I love it as an adult but I also think it is a great way to encourage reading with children.  What is more fun than meeting an author of a story you love?   



1 comment:

Debbie said...

I love this book festival! Maybe I will see you at Tomie dePaola's presentation. : )