Monday, October 10, 2011

In Aunt Lucy's Kitchen


I have become friends with my local children's librarian and she has suggested some great titles - one of which is Aunt Lucy's Kitchen written by Cynthia Rylant.   The writing style is geared towards early confident readers who are moving on to chapter books but it is much shorter than your typical chapter book.  I think that 5 or 6 to 9 year-old girls would love this book and series.

It is definitely geared towards girls - it is a story of three girls - two sisters and a cousin who are living with their Aunt Lucy while their parents are away dancing.  They live in an attic room upstairs and each girl has their own dedicated space in the wide open room.  They decide to start a cookie club business where they make and deliver cookies to people in the neighborhood.  Through this new found business they create some unexpected friendships.

This is a very simple and short story.  The characters and plot are not fully developed but I think it is  a very fun simple read.  My 6 year-old daughter is reading it and loves it. It is fun at her stage of a reading to have a chapter book that she can confidently and quickly read on her own.  I am excited to check out the rest of the series for her . . . and me!

No comments: